If you’re looking to spice up your holiday dessert spread, our Pumpkin Pecan Cake Roll is the treat for you. In this holiday specialty, two Thanksgiving classics come together to form one decadent dessert. The Pumpkin Cake Roll makes for an incredibly moist and flavorful base while the piped cream cheese frosting gives it an extra touch of elegance. Finally, the honey-glazed pecans are the finishing touch that makes this dessert truly irresistible. It’s an easy, yet impressive treat that is perfect for the holiday season and beyond!
Prepare Your Own Pumpkin Pecan Cake Roll
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Cream Cheese icing
- 20 Honey-glazed, whole pecans
- Piping bag and 1M tip (or any large, open star tip)
- Place the Pumpkin Cake Roll on a serving platter.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting evenly around the cake sides and top. Leave the swirls at the ends of the cake roll visible – do not cover in frosting.
- Next, take your piping bag, place the tip inside, then fill with the remaining frosting.
- Time to pipe! For this desert, we’ll be doing a basic shell pattern. At one of the swirl ends of the cake roll, hold your piping bag at a 45-degree angle where the cake roll meets the platter. Then give a short squeeze, gently release the pressure, and pull away. This motion should create one “shell”.
- Repeat the piping motion, starting each shell just past the tail of the previous shell. Continue to pipe until you reach the other side of the cake roll, finishing where this side meets the platter. You should now have an arched line of shell piping going over the top of your cake roll.
Tip: When piping a shell border, the idea is let the icing build up over itself just from the pressure. You don’t need to move the tip up and down. You just pull it in one direction and change the amount of pressure you’re applying.
- Repeat this process three more times, so you have a total of four piped lines on your cake roll. Each line should be roughly an inch apart with one line on each end of the cake roll and two in between.
- Finally, add the pecans. Between each line of piping, place five to six pecans lengthwise in a line going over the cake roll. You should end up with three sections of pecans.
Try our Pumpkin Pecan Cake Roll this holiday season for a new twist on traditional desserts. It combines a light, moist cake with the crunch of pecans to create a satisfying texture and tops it off with that great pumpkin flavor everyone craves this time of year. When your guests get a bite of our Pumpkin Pecan Cake Roll, you’ll have the start of a new Thanksgiving tradition.