You don’t need luck to make this your sweetest St. Patrick’s Day yet. Instead, you can effortlessly impress your green-clad guests by giving your favorite chocolate cake roll a festive upgrade! Our Leprechaun Hat Cake Roll is a memorable holiday centerpiece that tastes as magical as it looks. With a touch of green frosting and a sprinkle of gold, it’s the perfect dessert to top off your St. Patrick’s Day feast!
Make it a Sweet Celebration with a Leprechaun Hat Cake Roll
Ingredients & Materials:
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Chocolate Crème Cake Roll
- Green frosting
- Gold sprinkles
- 1 small cardboard cake plate
- Wide black ribbon
- 1 small piece of cardboard
- Pick a serving platter to display your cake roll on. Set that aside.
- Take the cake plate and cover one side and the edges in green frosting. Carefully, place the cake plate in the center of your serving platter.
- Now, cut the cake roll in half.
- Place one half of the cake roll in the center of the cake plate vertically and put the other half back in the refrigerator. You can enjoy it later.
- Spread the frosting around the entire cake with an offset spatula, or a similar kitchen utensil, until it is completely covered in a thin, even layer of frosting.
Tip: For a more rustic appearance, make the layer of frosting even thinner and let some of the cake show through.
- Take the black ribbon and measure out enough, so it can wrap around the cake roll. Cut the ribbon to the appropriate size.
- Wrap the ribbon about ½ inch. above the base of the cake roll. Stick the ends of the ribbon to the back of the cake roll using a couple of dollops of icing.
- Next, cut the extra piece of cardboard you have into the shape of a square. You’ll want to make the square taller than the ribbon you used.
- Carefully, using a hobby or precision knife, cut out the center of the cardboard square. Make the hole the same height as the ribbon.
- Take the square that you cut the center out of and cover it in green frosting.
- Add the gold sprinkles on top of cardboard square. Press down slightly while the frosting is still soft to ensure that the sprinkles stick to the surface.
- Finally, attach the buckle to the cake roll. Place it in the center of your ribbon and stick it to your cake roll using a couple of dollops of icing.
One bite of this moist, decadent Leprechaun Hat Cake Roll, and you’ll think you’ve found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It’s a simple dessert inspired by the fun and festive spirit behind the March 17th holiday. Loaded with flavor and leprechaun-approved, the Leprechaun Hat Cake Roll is guaranteed to make your celebration just a wee bit sweeter.