Effortlessly impress your guests with a beautiful Speckled Egg Cake Roll for Easter! This Chocolate Crème Cake Roll is covered in light blue frosting and speckled with cocoa to resemble a Robin’s egg. It’s a creative cake that could not be easier to decorate and makes a stunning centerpiece for your Easter celebration.
How to Make this Egg-cellent Speckled Egg Cake Roll
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Chocolate Crème Cake Roll
- 1 bag of speckled egg candies
- Vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Place the Chocolate Crème Cake Roll on a serving platter.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting with a small amount of blue food coloring, just enough to achieve a nice Robin’s egg blue color.
- Spread the frosting evenly around the cake sides and top. Leave the swirls at the ends of the cake roll visible – do not cover in frosting.
- Mix the cocoa powder and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Take a clean, food-grade paintbrush and dip it in the mixture and use your finger to flick the mixture onto the cake.
Tip: Practice this technique on a piece of paper or paper towel to get an idea of how much of the mixture to add to your brush as well as the distance to hold your brush from the cake.
- Place the speckled egg candies around the perimeter of the cake on three sides. Leave one swirl side empty.
- Finally, place a small bowl on top of the cake roll. Fill the bowl with the remaining speckled egg candies. Secure the bowl with more frosting if needed.
Sweeten your spring holiday traditions by adding this Speckled Egg Cake Roll to your dessert table. It’s a fun twist on a quintessential Easter treat and is bunny approved!