Warm up by the oven this winter and fill your kitchen with the smell of freshly baked Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Sandwiches. Chocolate and peppermint are one of season’s most popular flavor combinations. Now, it’s available in cookie form. These cookie sandwiches are made from two rich, decadent triple chocolate cookies that are sandwiched together by a fluffy peppermint-flavored buttercream filling. Top with a milk chocolate drizzle and crushed peppermint pieces for a treat that’s sweet, refreshing, and beautiful.
More Recipes Full of Chocolatey Goodness
Hot Chocolate Cake Roll
Our Hot Chocolate Cake Roll is just the thing you need when the weather turns cold. It’s everything you love about the classic beverage but in cake form! It’s guaranteed to help carry you through these long winter nights and into the sunny days of spring.
Polar Bear Cake Roll
Turn any seasonal celebration into a winter wonderland with a Polar Bear Cake Roll. Now, anyone can decorate a festive centerpiece that will effortlessly impress adults and kids alike at their next holiday gathering. The best part? It’s as delicious as it is adorable.
Heart-Shaped Cake Roll Sandwiches
Effortlessly impress your friends with an extra-special dessert this Galentine’s Day. These desserts are absolutely stunning and incredibly easy to make. All you need is a cake roll or two, a heart-shaped cutter, some frosting, and sprinkles!
What You’ll Need
- A stand mixer and bowl to make the buttercream frosting. This will help make sure your ingredients are well combined, so you don’t have any large chunks in your icing. Alternatively, you can use a large mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
- For this recipe, it’s important that you get perfectly uniform cookies. To do that, we used a biscuit cutter to make sure each cookie was the same size. A cookie cutter, just slightly smaller than the cookies themselves, would also work.
- Don’t forget to have a few piping bags and a large star tip on hand. One piping bag will be used with the star tip to pipe the buttercream onto the cookies. The other bag will be used to drizzle on the chocolate topping.
If you can resist these delicious cookie sandwiches long enough to have leftovers, you can easily store them in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat, you can serve them chilled right out of the refrigerator or leave them to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. If you want to freeze the cookies, make them as you usually would but leave off the chocolate drizzle. Then, wrap in plastic wrap and seal in an airtight container. When it’s time to serve, allow the cookies to thaw. Once completely thawed, add the chocolate drizzle and peppermint pieces on top.
Tips for Making the Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Sandwiches
- Like we mentioned above, since these cookies are going to be sandwiched together, it’s important that each one is the same size and shape. Your cookies will spread in the oven, so use a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter to ensure they match up perfectly.
- For the best results, let the cookies cool completely before piping on the buttercream. If the cookies are still warm, the buttercream will melt. This means your cookies will not stick together to form the sandwiches. If you want to speed up the cooling process, you can put the cookies in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- The buttercream needs to be stable enough to hold its shape when piped on the cookie. If it is too thin, add more of the confectioner’s sugar and beat until the desired consistency is achieved. If it is too thick, you can add a tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Be careful when forming your sandwiches. When it’s time to stick two cookies together, press on them gently. If you use too much force, the buttercream will spill out from the edges and make a mess. A gentle touch keeps the cookies, and your kitchen, looking pristine.
How to Make the Perfect Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Sandwiches
Servings: 20 Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 pkg. Dutch Apron® Bakery Triple Chocolate Cookie Dough
- Peppermint Buttercream
- ¾ c. (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ c. confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract
- Pinch of salt
- ½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crushed candy canes or peppermint candy
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Break apart the cookie dough cubes and place them 2” apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are slightly crisp. Remove from cookie sheets and transfer to cooling racks.
- While the cookies are cooling, use a biscuit cutter to make the cookies into perfect circles. Then, allow cookies to finish cooling completely.
- In a mixing bowl, add softened butter. Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar in one cup at a time while mixing on low speed until fully incorporated. Once combined, increase speed to medium-high for 1 minute.
- Add peppermint extract and salt. Mix until combined. Beat on medium-high speed for 6-7 minutes until the buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Scoop the buttercream into a piping bag that is fitted with a large star tip. Pipe the buttercream onto one cookie. Then take another cookie, this one should have no icing, and gently press the two together. Don’t press too hard.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes then pour into a piping bag. Drizzle chocolate over top of the cookie sandwiches.
- Sprinkle the tops with crushed candy canes.
This recipe for Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Sandwiches proves that two cookies are always better than one. The triple chocolate cookies have the most delicious, fudgy taste which pairs perfectly with the silky peppermint buttercream for a festive, seasonal treat that everyone will love. It may be cold outside, but with a plate of these sandwich cookies and a pitcher of hot chocolate on the table, we think you’ll find that winter has never been cozier…or sweeter.