When the temperatures drop, heat up your home by serving a delicious, winter-themed cake for dessert. Our Hot Chocolate Cake Roll is just the thing you need when the weather turns cold. It’s everything you love about the classic beverage but in cake form! A moist Chocolate Crème Cake Roll is covered with hot chocolate frosting and topped with marshmallows to create a wonderfully decadent and addicting flavor combination. It’s guaranteed to help carry you through these long winter nights and into the sunny days of spring.
Cozy Up with this Hot Chocolate Cake Roll
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Chocolate Crème Cake Roll
- 1 c. butter, room temperature
- 3 ½ c. icing sugar
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp. homogenized milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Marshmallow crème
- Big marshmallows
- Little marshmallows
- Peppermint sticks
- First, whip up the hot chocolate icing for the cake roll.
- Start by placing the room temperature butter into a bowl.
- For the next step, you can either use an electric beater or a stand mixer. Beat the butter on medium speed until light and creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Sift together the sugar and cocoa powder. Add to the butter.
- Combine the milk and vanilla with the butter and beat on low for 1 minute.
- Add in the salt and beat on high for 1 additional minute.
Tip: Put in another ¼ c. icing sugar for a creamier frosting. For a thinner icing, add in more milk. We recommend adding in 1 tbsp. of milk at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Next, cut the cake roll in half. Place one half of the cake roll on a small serving platter vertically and put the other half back in the refrigerator. You can enjoy it later.
- Spread the hot chocolate icing you made around the entire cake with an offset spatula or similar kitchen utensil. Continue until the whole cake roll is covered in a thick, even layer of frosting.
- Place a good amount of the marshmallow crème on top of the cake roll. You will use this to stick on the marshmallows.
- Sprinkle a lot of little marshmallows on top of the crème, placing a few large marshmallows among them. If you want to add another layer of marshmallows on top of your first layer, you can use more of the crème to help them stick.
- Now, take a peppermint stick and push it into one side of the top of the cake roll, so it looks like a straw.
- You can add more marshmallows and peppermint sticks to the base of your cake roll as decorations. If you want more peppermint flavor, crush a peppermint stick and sprinkle the pieces over the top of your cake roll.
There’s no drink more nostalgic than a mug of hot cocoa topped with marshmallows. It’s a treat that is enjoyed by all ages and stirs up memories of festive holidays and warm moments with family and friends. That’s what makes this Hot Chocolate Cake Roll the indulgent, winter cake of your dreams. It’s packed with chocolate flavor, marshmallows, and tastes just the way you remember. So, when the weather gets cold outside, make up one of these drink-themed cake rolls and surround yourself with loved ones, so you can start making some new memories.