Cookies and cream are one of those classic flavor combinations that people just can’t get enough of. We know we can’t. So, we’re calling all chocolate lovers, cookie lovers, and cake lovers to the kitchen to get a glimpse of our newest creation: the Cookies and Cream Cake Roll. This decadent dessert is a combination of rich chocolate cake, smooth vanilla-flavored crème filling, light and luscious cookies and cream frosting, and an abundance of crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion, hosting a gathering with loved ones, or simply craving something sweet, a Cookies and Cream Cake Roll is sure to leave a lasting impression. Join us as we dive into a world of chocolatey goodness and share the step-by-step process of creating this delicious dessert and some expert tips to help you through the whole process. Get ready to experience the sheer joy of creating a cake that perfectly balances those beloved flavors of cookies and cream.
More Delicious Chocolate Crème Cake Roll Recipes
Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
Who says you can’t have your cake and eat ice cream, too? With this cake, you get a mouthwatering combination of two of life’s greatest indulgences: chocolate cake and cookies and cream ice cream. So, gather your friends and family, grab a spoon (or two), and let the celebration begin!
Sparkling Mini Parfaits
If you’re going deluxe for New Year’s Eve this year, these Sparkling Mini Parfaits will fit right in. Elegant and easy to assemble, this holiday indulgence is filled with a wonderful combination of flavors. Top with sparklers when you serve it for an extra festive New Year’s Eve feel.
Chocolate Banana Split
Add a little extra indulgence to your summer and enjoy this twist on the classic banana split. It has all the classic ingredients: Neapolitan ice cream, banana slices, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and cherries. So, what makes this banana split recipe so special? The addition of our Chocolate Crème Cake Roll! The rich chocolate cake and vanilla-flavored crème filling add an extra layer of sweetness to give you even more to enjoy.
What You’ll Need
- A stand mixer and bowl to make the cookies and cream frosting. This will help to make sure your ingredients are well combined, so you don’t end up with any chunks. Alternatively, you can use a large mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
- An offset spatula to spread the frosting onto your cake roll.
- We recommend having a bench scraper to smooth out the frosting once it has been added to the cake. This gives it a beautiful, smooth finish.
- Have a decorative serving plate or platter for your cake. This is the surface you’ll decorate your cake on as it’ll prevent you from having to transfer the cake onto the platter once you’ve added all the elements to your dessert.
- For the frosting and decorating, you’ll need a few piping bags and a 1M star tip.
A Cookies and Cream Cake Roll can last up to one week when stored in the refrigerator and for 1-2 days at room temperature. After you’ve cut the cake, if you want to keep some leftovers, put the pieces in an airtight container. They can be stored for a week in the refrigerator.
Tips for Making a Cookies and Cream Cake Roll
- Don’t take your cake roll out of the freezer until you are ready to start putting on the frosting. A cold cake is easier to decorate as it is less delicate. A room temperature cake is tender and fragile which means it is more likely to fall apart or break.
- When it comes to making the chocolate drips, gently add a small amount of the hot fudge near the edge of the cake. You want it close enough for the fudge to spill over but not so close that it goes all the way down the side of the cake. If you’d like, you can use the edge of a spoon to gently push a tiny bit of the fudge out over the side of the cake until it begins to run down.
- We recommend adding your drips approximately one inch apart. If you’ve never made a drip cake before, having a turntable on hand can be really helpful as it makes it easier to turn the cake while continually piping.
How to Make a Cookies and Cream Cake Roll
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Chocolate Crème Cake Roll
- Hot fudge
- Sandwich cookies
- Cookies and Cream Frosting
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. sandwich cookies, crushed
Cookies and Cream Frosting
- First, make the cookies and cream frosting. In your stand mixer, beat the softened butter until smooth, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Once the butter is smooth and light in color, add powdered sugar, 2 tbsp. of milk, and the vanilla extract. Mix on low to medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Once combined, stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of bowl. Mix an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add in most of your crushed sandwich cookies and another 1-2 tbsp. of milk, or to desired consistency. Mix on low speed until well combined. Remove bowl from mixer and scrape it with a rubber spatula to make sure all the ingredients have been incorporated into the mixture.
Frost Your Cake Roll
- Take your plate or platter and put a little frosting in the center. Then, place your frozen Chocolate Crème Cake Roll on top of the frosting. This will help hold your cake roll in place.
- With an offset spatula, take the cookies and cream frosting, a little at a time, and smear it upwards on the cake roll. Don’t forget to add some to the top of your cake roll!
- When you have the cake roll completely covered, take a bench scraper and gently scrape off any excess frosting for a nice, smooth finish.
- Add the remaining crushed sandwich cookies around the bottom of the cake roll.
- Put in the fridge to chill for 5-10 minutes.
Make the Chocolate Drip
- While the cake is chilling, prepare your chocolate drip. Take your hot fudge and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat until it is warm and runny. Then, transfer it to a piping bag and cut off a small amount of the tip.
- Take the cake out of the fridge and place it on the counter. Start piping the hot fudge on the edge, dripping the chocolate down the sides of the cake.
- Tip: Squeeze out more for a longer drip line and less for a shorter drip line.
- Let the cake side for 5 minutes or until the fudge is set.
Add the Finishing Touches
- Finally, take the remaining frosting and put it in a piping bag with a 1M star tip. Pipe onto the top of your cake roll. Place the piping bag close to the surface you’re piping on and apply pressure. Quickly lift up on the tip, away from the cake, and release pressure to get a small, peak shape. Repeat all over the top border of your cake roll.
- Finish by adding whole sandwich cookies on top for decoration.
This summer, take the iconic flavor combination of cookies and cream to new heights and celebrate it in cake form! This Cookies and Cream Cake Roll combines the rich, moist chocolate cake and sweet whipped filling of our Chocolate Crème Cake Roll with the real star of this dessert: the cookies and cream frosting. The sandwich cookies incorporated into the buttercream frosting infuse each bite with a delightful crunch that perfectly complements the velvety smoothness of the frosting base, delivering the ultimate indulgence in every bite. This is, without a doubt, a cake that will have everyone clamoring for seconds.