Who says you can’t have your cake and eat ice cream, too? With this Chocolate Ice Cream Cake, you get a mouthwatering combination of two of life’s greatest indulgences: chocolate cake and cookies and cream ice cream. To start, there are scoops of sweet, cookies and cream ice cream which are layered with crushed cookies under a generous helping of whipped topping. Then, you have the real star of the show: two layers of moist, decadent Chocolate Crème Cake Roll slices. Each slice is made with a rich, chocolate cake that’s rolled in a sweet, whipped crème filling, adding even more texture and an extra burst of flavor to this chocolatey delight.
You don’t need to be a master baker to whip up your own version of this sweet creation. All you need are the necessary ingredients, the right tools, and a good freezer. Soon, you’ll have a frozen treat perfect for all your summer gatherings.
More Indulging, Chocolate Recipes
Hot Chocolate Cake Roll
Our Hot Chocolate Cake Roll is just the thing you need when the weather turns cold. It’s everything you love about the classic beverage but in cake form! It’s guaranteed to help carry you through these long winter nights and into the sunny days of spring.
S’mores Cake Roll
Take your favorite campfire dessert to a whole new level with our S’mores Cake Roll. It combines all the classic s’more ingredients, from melted chocolate to toasted marshmallows, to create a decadent treat that’s perfect for any summer celebration. The best part? There’s no campfire required.
Mint Chocolate Ombre Cake Roll
This cake roll is simple but elegant. The base is a rich, decadent chocolate cake that has been rolled in a vanilla-flavored crème filling. The whole cake roll is covered in a buttercream frosting that has been flavored with mint. The frosting is then dyed various shades of green which will be used to create the ombre effect. Finally, the top and sides are decorated with more frosting and themed sprinkles.
What You’ll Need
- A bread loaf pan for layering your ice cream cake.
- Parchment paper to line your pan. This will make it easier to turn out the ice cream cake once you’re ready to serve.
- Have a food processor or similar tool to turn the sandwich cookies into a find crumb. This will create the crust and one of the layers of your cake as well as form the decoration on top.
- Serve on a decorative platter. If you’re putting it out for a family event or dinner party, pick one that highlights the theme of the event!
Keep your Chocolate Ice Cream Cake frozen whenever possible. Keep the cake in the freezer until 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve. If you have leftovers, wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer. If it’s kept cold enough, you can store your ice cream cake in the freezer for up to a month.
Tips for Making a Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
- Make sure you get ice cream that freezes well. A soft-serve ice cream will not completely freeze meaning it won’t provide a stable enough structure for your Chocolate Ice Cream Cake.
- For the ice cream you do choose, it is best to let it soften slightly before adding it to the cake pan. This will allow you to create a more uniform layer which makes it much easier to layer other ingredients on top.
- Try to have your kitchen as cold as possible, so the cake doesn’t melt as you work with it. If your kitchen is typically on the warmer side, you’ll have to put your cake back into the freezer more often between steps.
Whip Up the Ultimate Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Chocolate Crème Cake Roll, cut into ¼ in. slices
- 48 sandwich cookies, crushed
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 ½ qtrs. Cookies and Cream ice cream (half gallon)
- 10 oz. hot fudge
- 1 pkg. whipped cream
- Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Use a food processor to blend 24 sandwich cookies into a fine crumb. Place crushed cookies and melted butter into a bowl and mix. The mixture will be coarse and crumbly. Go ahead and place the additional 24 cookies into the food processor. Once they have been blended into crumbs, set aside.
- Place the cookie and butter mixture into the bread loaf pan and press down with your hands to ensure it is evenly distributed along the bottom. Use a measuring cup to make sure the crust is tight and compact in the bottom. Chill in the refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes.
- While that is freezing, take out your ice cream and place it on the counter to let thaw at room temperature.
- Next, take your frozen cake roll and slice into ¼ in. thick slices. Approximately 8 slices are needed, depending on the size of the pan you use. Place 4 cake roll slices next to each other on top of the chilled crust.
- When the ice cream is fairly easy to stir, mix it up and pour it on top of the cake roll layer. Place it back into the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Warm the hot fudge sauce until it is pourable but not too hot. Pour the hot fudge over the chilled ice cream and spread evenly. Sprinkle most of the remaining sandwich cookie crumbs over the hot fudge layer. Save about ¼ cup of the crumbs for the top; they’ll be used for decoration. Place the cake into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- When the hot fudge and cookie crumb layer is set, place another layer of cake rolls on top. Then, put on another layer of ice cream. Place the ice cream cake in the freezer for 4-6 hours, or overnight if possible.
- When you are ready to serve the cake, invert the loaf pan onto a serving dish and remove the parchment paper. Spread a layer of whipped cream on top. Finish by sprinkling chopped sandwich cookies over the whipped cream layer for decoration. Serve immediately.
What do you get when you combine rich, chocolatey goodness with creamy ice cream? Your new, favorite summer dessert! This Chocolate Ice Cream Cake has all of that and more! Made from layers of Chocolate Crème Cake Roll slices, cookies and cream ice cream, hot fudge, whipped topping, and crushed cookies, this treat is a symphony of sweet flavors and textures. Whether you’re planning a special occasion, surprising a loved one, or simply craving an indulgent treat, this Chocolate Ice Cream Cake is sure to satisfy every sweet tooth. So, gather your friends and family, grab a spoon (or two), and let the celebration begin!