Graduation season is almost here! Help your student mark this special occasion with a delicious Diploma Cake Roll from Dutch Apron® Bakery. This unique dessert features a Lemon Crème Cake Roll covered in buttercream frosting and simple decorations that can be personalized with your graduate’s school colors. It’s the perfect treat to help make this banner-worthy occasion even sweeter.
How to Master Your Own Diploma Cake Roll
- 1 Dutch Apron Bakery Lemon Crème Cake Roll
- Buttercream frosting
- Piping bag and any open-star tip
- 7/8-inch ribbon
- Graduation hat cake topper
- Place the Lemon Crème Cake Roll on a cake rack. Put that cake rack over a baking sheet to help make clean up a breeze!
- Next, prepare the frosting.
- Remove the lid from your frosting container and peel off the foil cover.
- Use a spoon to take a large scoop of frosting from the container and set it aside in an extra bowl. You will use this for piping later.
- Take the remaining frosting and place it in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds at a time until it becomes melted enough to pour.
- Stir the melted frosting with a spoon until smooth.
- Pour the frosting over the cake roll, thoroughly coating the entire dessert including both ends.
- Now, take your piping bag, place the tip inside, and fill with the extra frosting you set aside earlier.
- Time to pipe! For this dessert, we’ll do a simple border around both ends. At one of the swirl ends of the cake roll, hold your piping bag at a 45-degree angle where the cake roll meets the rack. Gently squeeze the piping bag and slowly pipe a line over the top of the cake, stopping where the other side of the cake roll meets the rack.
- Repeat this process on the other end of the cake roll.
- Let the frosting harden before moving on to the next step.
- Now, you’ll add the ribbon. Measure out the necessary length for your cake roll and cut the ribbon accordingly.
- Carefully, wrap the ribbon underneath the cake roll and pull it so you have an equal amount of ribbon in the back and the front.
- Now, you’ll tie a double bow. If you’ve never done this before, we found this video on tying a double bow very helpful.
- Adjust the bow. Pull it towards you slightly, so it lies a little bit on the side of the cake roll instead of exactly on top.
- Add the graduation hat cake topper on top of the cake roll just above the bow.
- Finally, move the cake roll from the cake rack to a serving platter of your choice. Now, it’s ready to serve!
At Dutch Apron Bakery, we think it’s important to commemorate all the big and little moments that come your way. Whether your student is graduating from college, high school, or even preschool, let us help you celebrate their sweet success with this Diploma Cake Roll. It’s a memorable party treat that looks as good as it tastes.