Add a little red, white, and blue to your holiday spread and effortlessly impress your guests with a Firecracker Cake Roll. Exploding with colors and great flavor, this dessert is a salute to deliciousness. Simple to decorate and exciting to look at, it’s a 4th of July treat that is sure to make you ooohh and aaahh with every bite.
Decorating Your Own Sparkling Firecracker Cake Roll
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Cake Roll, any flavor
- White buttercream frosting
- Red and blue food coloring
- 3 piping bags and 1M tip
- Mylar spray ribbon cake topper
- Cut cake roll in half.
- Place one half of the cake roll on a small serving platter.
- Separate the buttercream into 3 different bowls. In one bowl, add red food coloring until it reaches your desired color. Repeat this process in the second bowl with the blue food coloring.
- Take one piping bag, place the tip inside and cut off the end of the piping bag. Now, fill with red buttercream frosting. Twist the top of the bag to ensure that no icing comes out of the other end.
- Now, you’re ready to start piping. Start in the middle of the cake roll. Hold the bag at a slight angle to the cake. Apply even pressure and squeeze down on the piping bag then flick the buttercream diagonally in one direction.
- Now, starting at the thin end of the last piped shape, repeat the same action, angling the bag in the opposite direction. You’ll change the direction of the icing every time, so you create a crisscross pattern like the one below.
- Repeat steps 4-6 with the white buttercream frosting. Pipe 2 lines of this crisscross pattern on either side of the red line.
- Repeat steps 4-6 with the blue buttercream frosting. Pipe 2 lines of the crisscross pattern on the outside of each white line.
- Finally, place the cake topper in the center of the cake roll to give it that perfect finishing touch.
Celebrate the 4th of July in the sweetest possible way by adding a Firecracker Cake Roll to the festivities. The colorful buttercream icing and sparkling cake topper are guaranteed to outshine any fireworks show and turn your backyard barbeque into a star-spangled occasion.