Planning a birthday party that will go beyond any child’s wildest dreams calls for an enchanting dessert that is both sweet and beautiful. This Unicorn Cake Roll is all that and more. Our moist Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll gets an added dose of sweetness from the layers of sweet buttercream and a dash of brightness from the multi-colored rosette mane. Complete with a golden horn, this magical dessert is fit for princes and princesses of all ages.
How to Make a Magical Unicorn Cake Roll
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll
- White buttercream frosting
- Black, purple, pink, and blue gel food coloring
- 4 piping bags
- 3, 4B star piping tips
- No. 5 piping tip
- Plastic unicorn cake topper horn
- Cut the Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll in half.
- Place one half of the cake roll on a small serving platter vertically and put the other half back in the refrigerator. You can enjoy it later.
- Take your frosting and spread it around the entire cake roll with an offset spatula, or a similar kitchen utensil, until it is completely covered with a thick, smooth layer of frosting.
- Get 3 medium mixing bowls to create your colored frosting.
- Put one cup of white frosting in each bowl.
- Mix in a few drops of blue, pink, and purple food coloring in their own respective bowls.
- Take three of your piping bags and place a 4B piping tip into each one.
- Place each colored frosting into its own piping bag.
- Snip off the tip of the piping bags.
- Make the black frosting for the eyes.
- Scoop ½ cup of white frosting into a small mixing bowl.
- Add a few drops of black food coloring.
- Take your last piping bag and put in the no. 5 piping tip.
- Add the frosting into the piping bag.
- Snip off the tip of the piping bag.
- Using the blue, pink, and purple piping bags, start piping the “hair” of your unicorn. Start at the center of the “forehead”. Continue until you cover the whole top of the cake roll. Finish by going around one side to create the “mane”.
Tip: Use these colors to pipe large rosettes on your cake. Piping a rosette is almost like doing a lowercase “e”. You start in the center and pipe around counterclockwise then gently lift off. You do this as many times as necessary to create your unicorn’s “hair”. If you need a little more help, we highly recommend this tutorial from CakesbyLynz on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acVfZiNBniY.
- Use the black frosting piping bag to pipe out the details of the eyes.
- Place the horn on the top of the cake roll.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ready to make some birthday magic with your own Unicorn Cake Roll? You don’t need to be a decorating wizard to assemble this fairytale creature, piping multi-colored rosettes is as complex as it gets. Just pick up those piping bags and soon you’ll be creating an unforgetting birthday cake that is tasty, whimsical, and just a little bit magical.