Are you looking to whip up an extra special dessert for your special someone this Valentine’s Day? Fill their hearts, and their stomachs, by serving these classically flavored and elegantly prepared Mini Red Velvet Cakes for dessert. This recipe takes the red velvet and cream cheese combination up a notch by adding Mascarpone cheese to the mix. The Mascarpone adds a slightly savory undertone that cuts the sweetness of the cake. It all comes together to create a dessert full of rich, complex flavor that you won’t be able to get enough of. Garnish with fresh fruit and mint leaves for a pop of seasonal color. Now, you have a mini cake that is beautiful enough and tasty enough to impress your sweetheart this February 14th.
More Recipes for Valentine’s Day
Red Velvet Truffles
Add a touch of decadence to your celebration this February 14th. Guaranteed to delight, these tempting treats are made with real cream cheese, moist red velvet cake, and two kinds of chocolate. Perfect for sweethearts, coworkers, and best friends alike.
A charcuterie board will have your valentine feeling like they’re in a fancy restaurant even at your kitchen table. From melt-in-your-mouth chocolates to decadent cake roll slices, they’re sure to fall head over heels in love with each indulgent bite.
Heart-Shaped Cake Roll Sandwiches
Effortlessly impress your friends with an extra-special dessert this Galentine’s Day. These desserts are absolutely stunning and incredibly easy to make. All you need is a cake roll or two, a heart-shaped cutter, some frosting, and sprinkles!
What You’ll Need
- A stand mixer and bowl to make the Mascarpone frosting. This will help make sure your ingredients are well combined, so you don’t have any large chunks in your icing. Alternatively, you can use a large mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
- For this recipe, you may decide you want cakes that are even more mini than our standard cake roll slice. In this case, we recommend a biscuit cutter to trim your cake roll slices. This will also help ensure each cake roll slice is the exact same size.
- You may want to have a piping bag and an open tip on hand to pipe the frosting on your Red Velvet Mini Cakes. You could use a star tip if you want to get creative with your piping.
This cake utilizes both fresh fruit and a Mascarpone frosting. That’s why it is important that you store the mini cakes in the refrigerator before serving. If you have leftovers, refrigerate the cakes for 15 minutes to allow the frosting to harden. Then, loosely wrap the cakes in plastic wrap. If you have the space, store inside a cake keeper or Tupperware container to help keep it fresh. They can last in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Tips for Making Mini Red Velvet Cakes
- Since the cake roll slices are going to be stacked on top of each other, it’s important that each one is the same size and shape. Use a biscuit cutter if you want a little help ensuring they match up perfectly.
- Be careful when stacking your cake slices. When it’s time to place the second slice on top of the frosting, be sure to press on it gently. If you use too much force, the frosting will spill out from the edges and make a mess. A gentle touch keeps the mini cakes and your kitchen looking immaculate.
- If you plan to get more decorative with your Mascarpone frosting, make sure you mix it until stiff peaks form. If you don’t, the frosting will not be stiff enough to hold the shapes you’re trying to make. Be careful! If you over mix it, it will curdle.
How to Lovingly Craft these Mini Red Velvet Cakes
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Red Velvet Cake Roll
- 1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c. butter, softened
- 5 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint leaves
- Make the frosting first. Start by beating the softened cream cheese and softened butter at medium speed. Beat until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixer, beating at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Finally, add the Mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract and beat until blended.
- Cut 2 slices of cake from the frozen cake roll, each 1-inch thick. While the cake roll is still pliable, shape it into more of a circle. If you prefer smaller cakes, use a biscuit cutter to make smaller, circular slices. If you have any cake trimmings left, crumble the cake and save it for use as a garnish later.
- Pipe or spread about ¼ cup Mascarpone frosting on the bottom cake roll slice. Take the other cake slice and place it on top carefully, so the filling doesn’t squish out.
- Pipe more frosting on the top and garnish with cake crumbles, fresh raspberries, and mint leaves.
Take the cake at any Valentine’s Day celebration when you bring out a tray of Mini Red Velvet Cakes. Featuring classic Valentine’s Day flavors and colors, you won’t find a cake more festive or delicious than these mini delights. Made from indulgent red velvet cake, a fluffy Mascarpone frosting, and topped with tart raspberries, these Mini Red Velvet Cakes are a decadent treat that can satisfy any palate. It’s an elegant, easy-to-make recipe that will guarantee you end your Valentine’s Day on a sweet note.