Original Red Velvet Charlotte Royale recipe and pictures by Rubi (@flawvorful). Follow her on Instagram for more amazing and original content.
This is a cake fit for a queen! It was an entry in the Grocery Glow Up event created by two Instagram users: @sweet_tooth_by_drj and @thrifty_cakes. They both challenged their followers to take a store-bought dessert and give it a makeover. This inspired Rubi to create her regal recipe featuring one of our Red Velvet cake rolls.
A Charlotte Royale is a classic molded dessert that uses slices of rolled caked to line a mold or bowl which is then filled with custard, cream, or jelly. It’s a stunning cake that will allow you to effortlessly impress your guests. And we mean effortlessly; Rubi’s recipe allows for a stress-free baking experience. Now, you can try this show-stopping treat for yourself!
Create Your Own Red Velvet Charlotte Royale
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Red Velvet Cake Roll
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 c. milk chocolate, melted
Cranberry Cream Cheese Mousse:
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 ½ c. Cranberry jam
- 1/8 c. Milk
- ¾ c. Sour Cream
- 1/2 c. Half and half
- 1/2 c. condensed milk
- 1 pack of gelatin
- First, make the cranberry cream cheese mousse.
- Bloom your gelatin in about 2 c. of water until it absorbs all the liquid (3-5 minutes).
- Heat the gelatin in a large saucepan until it becomes translucent and all granules have dissolved.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cream cheese and cranberry jam.
- Add the milk, sour cream, half and half, and condensed milk to the bowl. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Slowly add in gelatin and gently fold the mixture until combined. Set aside until room temperature.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Line a small to medium bowl with foil.
- Cut your Dutch Apron Bakery Red Velvet Cake Roll into 1 cm slices.
- Arrange some slices of the roll along the sides of the bowl until it is completed covered.
- Next, make the chocolate frosting.
- First, soften the cream cheese in the microwave (just do a few seconds at a time).
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- Pour both into a medium bowl and slowly whip them together until fluffy.
- Cover the cake roll slices in the bowl with about half an inch chocolate frosting.
- Add the mousse and fill almost to the top, leaving about half an inch of cake not covered.
- Top the whole thing with more cake roll slices to form the bottom of your dome.
- Leave in the refrigerator overnight to set.
If you’re someone who likes to mark an occasion with a specialty treat, this is the dessert for you. The richness of our Red Velvet cake roll perfectly complements the sweet cranberry mousse to create this stunning cake. So, if you want to go the extra mile for your next gathering, consider making your own Red Velvet Charlotte Royale. It’s the perfect way to end any celebratory meal.
Sweeten Life’s Special Moments!