Are you searching for a sweet and tangy treat that’s perfect for any occasion? Look no further than these Oatmeal Cranberry Lemon Meringue Cookie Cups! With their soft and chewy oatmeal base, tart cranberries, zesty lemon curd filling, and quick meringue topping, these bite-sized delights are an absolute crowd pleaser.
Not only are these cookie cups stunning and packed with flavor, they’re also easy to make. Whether you’re an experienced baker or just starting out, you’ll find that this recipe is simple and straightforward. All you need is a few basic ingredients and a little bit of time, and you’ll have a batch of scrumptious treats to enjoy at your next Sunday brunch, family gathering, or afternoon coffee.
More Lemon-Filled Recipes
Lemon Blueberry Trifle
Bursting with color and flavor, this easy, no-bake Lemon Blueberry Trifle is elegant and delicious. It’s made with layers of light Lemon Crème Cake Roll pieces, fresh blueberries, and lemon pudding. Packed with zesty, fruity flavor, this trifle guarantees your guests are getting the very best that spring has to offer with every bite they take.
Sprinkle Cake Roll
Beautiful on the outside and full of flavor on the inside, this cake roll is the perfect addition to any party, and it’s very easy to do. You don’t need to be a cake decorating expert to recreate this vibrant dessert; you just need a lot of sprinkles.
Lemon Crème Cake Balls
It’s officially spring! That means it’s time to get out your favorite recipes featuring all those tasty spring flavors. Just like the season, our Lemon Crème Cake Balls are fresh and bright. Perfectly simple and undeniably refreshing, they are the treat you need to say goodbye to the cold and gloomy days of winter.
What You’ll Need
- A whisk and bowl to combine the ingredients in the lemon curd filling.
- We also recommend a fine-mesh sieve to remove all the zest from the filling once it has been thoroughly mixed.
- To form your cookie cups, you’ll place each of your cookie dough cubes into the cups of a mini muffin tin.
- We used a small melon baller to press down the center of each of our cookies to create space for the lemon curd filling.
- A stand mixer and bowl to make the meringue topping. This will whip up your eggs and sugar into the stiff peaks required of a good meringue. Alternatively, you can use a mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
- To make transferring the cookie cups to the broiler easier, place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
These cookie cups can be stored in the refrigerator for five to seven days, so you can make them ahead of time. Make sure the cups have cooled completely before transferring them to the refrigerator. Before serving, let them sit on a counter until they reach room temperature.
Tips for Making Oatmeal Cranberry Lemon Meringue Cookie Cups
- It’s easier to remove the cookie cups from the muffin tin while they are still warm. Don’t let them cool all the way in the pan or they’ll be more difficult to remove.
- Bring eggs to room temperature before making your meringue. Start by separating the egg whites from the yolks while the eggs are still cold. Then, let the whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before beating. This will help you whip your eggs into higher peaks.
- As you are beating your meringue, do not rush adding the sugar. The slower you add your sugar, the better it dissolves in the egg whites. Pouring in about 1 tbsp. at a time is what most bakers recommend. This will result in the silky-smooth texture you’re looking for.
Serve Up Your Own Oatmeal Cranberry Lemon Meringue Cookie Cups
- Cookie Cups
- 1 pkg. Dutch Apron® Bakery Oatmeal Cranberry White Chunk Cookie Dough
- Lemon Curd Filling
- ½ c. unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 c. fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest of 3 lemons
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Start making the lemon curd filling. Begin by melting the butter in the microwave. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, and egg yolk in a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl.
- Whisk in lemon juice and zest. Finally, whisk in the melted butter.
- Microwave the mixture on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir.
- Continue to microwave at 100% power in one-minute intervals. Stir after each interval. Continue until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. The mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Strain the curd through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the zest. Set curd aside to cool while you make the cookie cups.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Place 1 cube of cookie dough in each muffin cup. Bake 13-17 minutes or until the edges just being to crisp up and brown.
- Remove from the oven. With a small melon baller, gently press down the middle of each cookie cup.
- Continue letting them cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Let them cool completely before filling.
- While the cookie cups are cooling, make the meringue. Whip egg whites with a mixer until foamy. Add sugar 1 tbsp. at a time to the egg whites. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Set it aside.
- Spoon lemon curd filling into the cookie cups.
- Drop 1 tbsp. of meringue on top of the curd in each cup.
- Place cups on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and place under the broiler just until the tips of the meringue begin to brown. Remove immediately.
- Tip: It only takes 15-20 seconds for the meringue to begin to brown, so watch them carefully.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving or store until ready to enjoy!
Give these Oatmeal Cranberry Lemon Meringue Cookie Cups a try the next time you’re craving something zesty and sweet. Oatmeal Cranberry White Chunk cookies pair perfectly with the refreshingly tart lemon curd filling and sweet meringue topping to create a cookie that is light, fluffy, and impressive to look at. With such a delicious combination of flavors, they’re sure to become a new favorite in your baking repertoire.