The holiday season has come to an end, but winter has just begun! According to the forecasts, this winter is shaping up to be a chilly one for many of us. However, don’t let the wind and weather keep you from making memories with family and friends or indulging in delicious, seasonal treats. In fact, our kitchen just whipped up a brand-new recipe that will help you do both. Presenting the Red Velvet Chocolate Peppermint Trifle!
Trifles are an effortlessly impressive dessert option for any party or celebration because they come together quickly, look stunning, and can be made in any size you need. This Red Velvet Chocolate Peppermint Trifle layers rich Red Velvet Cake Roll slices with cool peppermint cream cheese frosting, chocolate chips, and peppermint candies to create a one-of-a-kind dessert filled with your favorite seasonal flavors. It’s the perfect make-ahead dessert for all your upcoming parties and dinners.
More Red Velvet Cake Roll Recipes
Winter Wonderland Cake Roll
If you’re looking to make your next winter gathering truly memorable, our Winter Wonderland Cake Roll will help you do just that. The rich, velvety red cake roll, cream cheese filling, buttercream frosting, and intricate decorations come together to make this holiday treat a real showstopper. It’s the perfect way to sweeten your gatherings and celebrations during this most wonderful time of year.
Mini Red Velvet Cakes
This recipe takes the red velvet and cream cheese combination up a notch by adding Mascarpone cheese to the mix. The Mascarpone adds a slightly savory undertone that cuts the sweetness of the cake. It all comes together to create a dessert full of rich, complex flavor that you won’t be able to get enough of.
Red Velvet Charlotte Royale
If you’re someone who likes to mark an occasion with a specialty treat, this is the dessert for you. The richness of our Red Velvet Cake Roll perfectly complements the sweet cranberry mousse to create this stunning cake. So, if you want to go the extra mile for your next gathering, consider making your own Red Velvet Charlotte Royale. It’s the perfect way to end any celebratory meal.
What You’ll Need
- To crush your candy canes or peppermint pieces, use a plastic bag and rolling pin.
- A stand mixer and bowl to make the peppermint cream cheese frosting. This will help make sure your ingredients are well combined, so you don’t have any large chunks in your frosting. Alternatively, you can use a large mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
- You’ll also need a trifle bowl or any clear container, like a punch bowl, mixing bowl, or even serving glasses if you want to go with individually portioned trifles.
A trifle can typically be made one day in advance. If you’d like to give yourself a little more time, you can prepare the different parts of your trifle (cake roll and frosting) and store them in separate, airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days. Then, the day before you plan to serve your Red Velvet Chocolate Peppermint Trifle, take out all the prepared ingredients and additional toppings and layer.
Tips for Making a Red Velvet Chocolate Peppermint Trifle
- Prepare all the separate components of the trifle before assembling.
- Check the capacity of your dish before buying and preparing the ingredients. Larger trifle bowls or containers will possibly need more ingredients to fill them properly.
- If you’re prepping your trifle ahead of time, wait to put on any toppings until you are ready to serve. This helps ensure they stay fresh for your guests!
How to Make an Indulgent Red Velvet Chocolate Peppermint Trifle
Servings: This recipe makes a trifle that will serve approximately 16 guests.
For the Trifle:
- 2 Dutch Apron® Bakery Red Velvet Cake Rolls
- Chocolate chips
- Candy cane pieces
For the Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4.5 oz. (1/2 c.) crushed candy canes
- 12 oz. (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 24 oz. (3 blocks) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3.5 oz. (1/2 c.) marshmallow cream or marshmallow fluff
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp. (to taste) peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 36 oz. (9 c.) powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream or milk
Prepare the Red Velvet Cake Roll
- While still frozen, cut the Red Velvet Cake Roll into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
Make the Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Crush the candy canes into fine crumbs using a plastic bag and a rolling pin.
- In a large stand mixer, cream together butter, cream cheese, and marshmallow cream until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, 1-2 tsp. of peppermint extract, and salt. Mix well.
- Tip: The amount of peppermint extract you use is entirely up to you and your preferences.
- Incorporate powdered sugar and heavy cream or milk, mixing on low speed until moistened. Then, whip on medium-high speed for 2-3 min. until fluffy.
- Stir in the crushed candy canes.
Assemble the Trifle
- Start by covering the bottom of your trifle bowl with a layer of Red Velvet Cake Roll cubes.
- Add a generous layer of peppermint cream cheese frosting, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle your candy cane pieces and chocolate chips on top of the frosting.
- Continue layering the cake, frosting, and candy. Aim for 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of frosting.
- Scatter more candy cane pieces on top for the finishing touch.
And that’s all there is to it! Now, you have a winter dessert masterpiece that is sure to “wow” everyone at your seasonal gatherings. Not only is it a beautiful addition to your table, it’s also incredibly delicious. The moist, rich Red Velvet Cake Roll cubes, creamy peppermint-flavored frosting, and chocolate and peppermint pieces create a beautiful blend of flavors and textures that will leave your taste buds applauding after every bite. So, don’t let the gloomy weather get you down! Instead, whip up your own Red Velvet Chocolate Peppermint Trifle to share with neighbors, loved ones, or coworkers. It’s just the thing you need to brighten all your winter days.