Summer is here, and it has brought with it an abundance of sweet, juicy berries for all of us to enjoy. To help you celebrate all that the season has to offer, we’re sharing our newest recipe that’s bursting with berry flavor: the Mixed Berry Shortcake. These individual-sized delights feature layers of mixed berries, moist Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll slices, and luscious whipped cream, all nestled in a charming glass. It’s a convenient yet beautiful dessert that effortlessly impresses at any gathering or celebration. With each delightful bite, these Mixed Berry Shortcakes promise to inspire joy, ignite conversation, and create lasting connections around the table.
More Sweet Berry Recipes
Fresh Fruit Cake Roll
A Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll is covered in delicate buttercream rosettes and topped with your mom’s favorite fresh fruits to make a stunning dessert that is almost too pretty to eat.
Lemon Blueberry Trifle
Bursting with color and flavor, this easy, no-bake Lemon Blueberry Trifle is elegant and delicious. It’s made with layers of light Lemon Crème Cake Roll pieces, fresh blueberries, and lemon pudding. Packed with zesty, fruity flavor, this trifle guarantees your guests are getting the very best that spring has to offer with every bite they take.
Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes
These creamy, no-bake Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes are deliciously light and perfectly sweet. They feature a distinctive crust made from our Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll and are topped with a creamy, strawberry-flavored cheesecake filling. Since they’re mini, you can simply put them on a plate and go, perfect for an afternoon tea or a day spent by the pool.
What You’ll Need
- Mixed Berry Shortcakes are put together and served in 8 oz. glasses. Make sure you have enough glasses to serve each of your guests.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut your cake roll into slices small enough to fit into your glass. The size of the cookie cutter will change based on the glass you choose to use.
Mixed Berry Shortcake is best enjoyed as soon as it is made. This is when the berries are at their freshest and when your cake roll will be the most moist.
If you like your shortcake a bit on the softer side, you can absolutely make them ahead of time. Cover your glasses with saran wrap before storing them in the refrigerator. They’ll keep for about 2-3 days. When you’re ready to serve, take them out of the fridge and top with whipped cream, extra berries, and mint leaves.
Tips for Making Mixed Berry Shortcakes
- For this recipe, we filled 8-ounce glasses with all our ingredients. This was the perfect size to fit all the necessary layers. You can get bigger or smaller glasses based on your preferences.
- If you have more of a sweet tooth, you can top your shortcake with a drizzle of chocolate syrup or hot fudge. The fruity flavor notes in the chocolate will strengthen the flavor of the berries and bring out the best of both ingredients.
- Let the fruit sit with the sweetener even longer. If you want even sweeter, juicier berries for your shortcake, add the sugar to the bowl of fruit in the morning then cover and place in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Craft Your Own Glasses of Mixed Berry Shortcakes
- 1 Dutch Apron® Bakery Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll
- 2 c. whipped cream
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 c. blueberries
- 1 c. raspberries
- 1 c. strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 c. blackberries
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish, optional
- Start by washing all the berries. Hull and slice the strawberries and place all the berries in the bowl.
- Cover the berries with granulated sugar and add lime juice. Stir well to combine, ensuring the sugar coats the berries. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the berries sit, slice the Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll into ½-inch slices. Use round cutters to create circles that are small enough to fit into your glasses.
- To assemble the dessert, begin with a piece of the cake roll which fits snugly into the bottom of each glass.
- Layer a handful of the berries on top of the cake layer, followed by a dollop of whipped cream.
- Repeat the layering process, alternating between cake, berries, and whipped cream until the glass is filled. This should be about three sets of layers.
- Finish off each glass with a final swirl of whipped cream and garnish with a few fresh berries and mint leaves.
Get ready to savor the taste of summer! This Mixed Berry Shortcake recipe is a true celebration of summer’s bounty, combining juicy berries, sweet Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Roll slices, and whipped cream in one convenient glass. Whether you’re planning a picnic, hosting a backyard gathering, or simply craving a burst of fruity goodness, this dessert is here to effortlessly impress. No matter where you serve it, this delicious dessert delivers convenience, quality, and unforgettable flavors to your table every time.